Was I dealt a sure win of a hand? Absolutely NOT! Half the time I don't even know which game I am playing. Regardless of the game you choose, don't forget about discarding, playing your wild card, choosing your bets wisely, and knowing when to fold.
1. Choose your game and learn the rules. - What are your dreams and desires? Align your life with your dreams and play your cards to meet your goals. And have networking cards! Give yourself your own title - I chose Advocate of Adventure - and present yourself as such. You are your own personal brand, be authentically you!
2. Discarding - When the time comes to remove something from your life in order to meet your goals, take inventory in the item or person. Remove the bad habits and negative influences which are hindering you.
3. Wild Card - Don't be afraid to use it! Do you have a crazy skill or unique interest? Throw it into conversation. Do you have an acquaintance who may be able to help you reach your goal? Invite them to lunch. Bold actions create momentum.
4. Choose your bets wisely - Nothing is 100% guaranteed. Life is a game of Risk. Know what your limits are and stick to it. Don't spread yourself too thin nor pass up great opportunities. Find your balance and keep moving forward.
5. Know when to fold them - There are times when a plan isn't quite working. Don't hesitate to pull back and adjust your compass before starting out again.
Most importantly, try to surround yourself with other great players of the game. These individuals will be able to coach you as the game progresses and be positive support when the stakes are high.
Getting the hand you want takes time, practice, and sometimes many dealt hands. Have patience and keep your focus on the prize. Deep down, you are the wild card in your own game.
Charmaine N. Houck
Advocate of Adventure